February 27, 2022
What does ‘Resurrection of the Body’ mean? What can we hope for?
- Death is the separation of the soul from the body, the soul goes to meet the Lord. The soul awaits the moment when it will be reunited with the resurrected body through the power of Jesus’ resurrection.
- When we rise, it’s with our own bodies. Our Lord will change our lowly body to be like His glorious body.
- The resurrected bodies are immortal, also true for the wicked who will be condemned to everlasting torment, torment for the wicked, joy for the just.
- Thomas identified four marks, or gifts, of the glorified body: subtlety, impassibility, agility and brightness.
- The four gifts of the glorified body gives us divine hope for our loved ones who have gone before us, and hope for ourselves for the destiny of eternal destiny.
- Our body is a gift that the Lord has given us to respect and care for in His service.
There are four qualities of resurrected bodies: subtlety- that complete subjection of the body to the soul; impassibility – that means immunity to suffering; agility – freedom from weakness; and brightness – the outward radiant in proportion to the degree of holiness.
At Mass, sharing in the Eucharist is preparing not just our souls, but also our bodies to rise with Him. It’s also for our bodies, that Jesus says, “Behold, I make all things new.”