January 10, 2021
In His Baptism, Jesus begins His open battle against “the world” and it’s ruler, Satan. As Christians we are in this battle also. By faith in Jesus, we can be victorious.
- St. John says, “The whole world is in the power of the evil one.” This strong passage reflects today’s world in which the power of the evil one is hidden and the world is dominated my him.
- Every spirit which does not confess Jesus, does not have God.
- Because of our baptism and our consecration to Jesus, we are in this battle with Jesus to save souls. We belong to Jesus and not to the world.
- A powerful victory in this war against the anti-Jesus spirits, is to offer our struggles, sufferings and unhappiness to Jesus.
- Through Jesus’ death and resurrection, He has won the war, but the battles and tribulations continue.
- Our faith and trust are the victory that overcomes the world because it unites us to Jesus and our faith permits Jesus to act in us.
John 5:4, “For whoever is begotten by God conquers the world. And the victory that conquers the world is our faith. Who indeed is the victor over the world, but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” Jesus fought the battle against the evil one and taught us how to win that battle. St. John says, “The reason the Son of God appeared, was to destroy the works of the devil.”
It is very important for us to realize that we are in this war, a battle against those who belong to the world and those who belong to Jesus. St. Paul says, “For we are not contending against flesh and blood (that is just against humans), but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness.” That is the real battle going on, the real battle at the root of the struggles in our country. We do not have all the means that the worldly powers have, we don’t need those means. What we need is faith in Jesus Christ. As St. John says, “Who is it that overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.”