October 25, 2020
Fr. John Mary’s homily discusses the two most important commandments from Jesus given to us in the gospel Matthew 22:34-40. We must always keep these commandments in the proper order by loving God with all our hearts, soul and mind first and foremost.
- Decisions we make in life have a huge impact, not only on our lives, but for other people also.
- Order of commandments from Jesus is important. Love God first and neighbors second.
- Putting importance of a creature or item before God is idolatry and sets ourselves up for disappointment.
- Love Jesus with ALL your heart, ALL your soul and ALL your mind.
- The essential formation for life is to put God first before all relationship so that God will be able to guide you in all decisions.
When a scholar asked Jesus, “what is the greatest Commandment”, Jesus gives a direct, simple answer, quoting the 1st Commandment. He then adds a second Commandment and puts it in the order of importance. By putting God first, only then are we able to love others in a pure, mature love.