August 23, 2020
Scripture state that “Upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” This passage is a key indication of the spiritual battle that will exist between the Church and evil forces throughout salvation history. Only through our faith in the Lord will we find peace during the battle.
- According to Jewish tradition, the foundation stone of the Jerusalem Temple capped off and sealed a long shaft leaving them to the netherworld (Hell).
- Two references from the book of Revelations: 1. Satan was given the key of the shaft of the bottomless pit. An angel from heaven coming down holding in his hand the key of the bottomless pit.
- Jesus stated that the gates of hell will not prevail, but the Church has to be awake to the continuous, powerful, unrelenting, subtle attacks.
- The Popes of the Middle Ages are an example of interior attacks of Satan to infiltrate and contaminate the Church from inside which is more dangerous.
- The Church’s strength is always in union with Jesus.
- Faith can only be a gift from the Father by the Holy Spirit to draw us to Jesus, the rock.
In the gospel reading from Matthew, Jesus said, “Upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” According to Jewish tradition the foundation stone of the Jerusalem Temple capped off and sealed a long shaft leading them to the netherworld. The rock on which Jesus would build His Church was built to close the shaft of hell. Jesus is saying that the Church will be viciously and skillfully attacked. So, the Church must be awake to these powerful, unrelenting, attacks.
The attacks from hell are many and very subtle, and our response should always be faith in Jesus. The key to the Church is to always know to keep the faith and proclaim the faith in Jesus Christ. The Church’s strength is always in union with Jesus. As Jesus asked Peter, “Who do you say I am?”, He is asking each one of us, “do you believe in Me?” So, our faith too, is based on union with Jesus.