August 2, 2020
This homily relates to the Lord’s invitation for those who are thirsty and want consoling from their deepest desires. We need to listen to the Holy Spirit’s guidance to direct us towards the living waters of Jesus to fulfill our soul’s deepest desires of the heart.
- Only God can make an invitation to a particular group who are thirsty and are suffering with painful and dissatisfying experiences.
- Our thirst is speaking of our deepest desires from our soul placed there by the Holy Spirit.
- Our deepest thirst in our soul is the thirst for God.
- Jesus tells us to come and listen to Him and to be richly and abundantly fulfilled.
- Jesus extends an everlasting covenant to everyone who is thirsty.
- By an act of faith, we can receive this living water and everlasting covenant in Holy Communion or through Spiritual Communion.
In Isaiah 55:1-3, God invites all who are thirsty to come to the waters. He also says buy and eat without money and without price. He is speaking of what will really satisfy the deepest thirst of our soul.
The Lord goes on to give another key indication of what we should do. After He says to come, then He says listen, hear that your soul may live. Let the Holy Spirit intensify the thirst within us to realize what our soul is trying to tell us. The deepest desire of our heart is our thirst for God.