March 8, 2020
As Abraham had a personal call from God, we too are being called to a journey of faith and hope. And with the help of the Holy Spirit, God will be able to do abundantly more for us than what we could possibly ask.
- There is often a weight of yearning and discouragement that we can carry as we get older from not accomplishing a fulfilled fruitful life.
- We can’t imagine the joy and the glory that God wants to give us. God wants to fill us with GOD.
- As with Abraham, God calls us to begin a journey and to leave behind all that we know and are accustomed to. We are to obey God by faith.
- Abraham realized that the promised land was beyond his human life and that his true home was in heaven and of God.
- Jesus is the descendent of Abraham and is the source of all blessings.
- If we respond to the Lord with faith and trust, He will fulfill the deepest desires that He Himself placed in our hearts.
During lent, the first readings show the great stages that lead up to Jesus. And today it speaks of Abram. Father talks about three stages and what happens to Abraham. The first is the revelation from God, then his response for that revelation, and then what results from that revelation. The Lord said to Abraham, go from your country, your kindred, and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. That’s the revelation which is both a promise and a call. By faith, Abraham obeyed. When he was called to go out to a place that which he was to receive as an inheritance, he went out not knowing where he was going. And then comes the blessing. Therefore, from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants as many as the stars of heaven and as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore, but as St. Paul says, above all this descendant of Abraham is Jesus Christ.
And so, what does this mean for us? It means that God wants to give us also a descendant, a spiritual descendant, our fruitfulness, our glory, beyond anything that we can imagine, to fulfill the deepest desires that He Himself has placed in our hearts. And no matter what our current situation is, if we respond to the Lord with faith, with trust in Him, He can bring about this divine marvel in your life. With Abraham and with an even greater example of faith and fruitfulness which is our Blessed Mother, this is an invitation to realize that God is also calling you. Each one of us has a personal call from God. And God is asking us also, in this call, to this journey of faith and hope.