September 11, 2022
Today’s parable of the Prodigal Son often comes to my mind when speaking with parents who have rebellious children, who, for instance, no longer want to attend Mass. What light does this parable shed on these difficult situations?
- The Father of the Prodigal Son shows us God’s parenting, an example for us.
- God respects our freedom.
- But with freedom comes responsibility for our actions. Children need to learn this.
- And parents need to remember that when their own control over their children is diminishing, so is their responsibility.
- And, above all, God calls us to hope in His Mercy. He knows the terrible difficulties of today.