October 31, 2021
In our complex, confusing world, it is not easy to know what is most important, what is the priority that we need to focus on. Jesus gives us the gift of clarity with a strong, clear answer.
- Today’s society has so many more options as to what we can do compared to Jesus’s time which had over 613 precepts of the Mosaic law on what not to do. This creates a lot of confusion and division in our society today.
- First point of charity is the fact that God is, God exist. The second point is that God is God and not some little detail in our lives. He is the Creator and the Savior.
- Whenever we put something in our life before God, that’s idolatry. The first commandment is a rejection of idolatry.
- God’s commandments are a revelation of who we are and what is best for us. His commandments are not imposed by force, but they respect our freedom.
- God is calling you to be His child. God wants to share with you His life, to be our friend, even to call us into a spouse or union with Him.
- God gave us the gift of the Holy Spirit at Baptism and we need to let that Holy Spirit grow and share God’s love in us. God calls us to love, agape love.
In the passage we hear today from Deuteronomy, Jesus gives clarity to the Scribe that asks which commandment is the first of all. Jesus response is that God is, God exists. And then it goes on to say, “The Lord your God, is Lord alone. There is no other God.”
When asked what shall we do, Jesus’s response, which is, from this passage in Deuteronomy, “you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” How do we put into practice what to do? Jesus says, “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love.” Jesus also gives us clarity when He said,” As the Father has loved Me, so I have loved you. Abide in My love.”