April 1, 2021
Holy Thursday takes us back to the Hebrews oppressed in Egypt. How could they be free? God’s answer prefigures something mysterious: Jesus’ sacrifice. It is the realistic, effective solution to the oppression of will. The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass makes this present for us today.
- The very difficult trials and sufferings that are in our society today are signs of Satan’s evil oppression and dominion in the world.
- To liberate the Israelites in Egypt, our practical and realistic God instructed them to sacrifice a lamb and put blood on their doorpost, then eat the lamb. How is that a realistic plan for liberation?
- Jesus revealed to His apostles on Passover that He was the new Moses, the Lamb, and was here to liberate His people from the cruel domination of the tyrant Satan.
- Beyond time and space, in the Holy Eucharist, we are united to the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. It is His sacrifice that is made present to us at every Mass.
- For all the problems of the world, there is only one real solution and that is Jesus who is made present in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
- Faith, which is so central to the Catholic faith, and uniting our sacrifice to Jesus are two essential components for the salvation of the world.
The readings that the Holy Spirit gives us tonight, take us back to the history of the Israelites, the Hebrews in Egypt, and takes us back to a problem of oppression of God’s people. God told every household to take a young lamb, sacrifice it, put its blood on their doorpost and eat the flesh of the lamb with unleavened bread. God didn’t say why they were supposed to do that, He didn’t explain why. He just said, do this, and they did it, and they were led to freedom. Jesus revealed that He was the new Moses, to liberate His people from the domination, but Jesus then revealed that He is the Lamb that is sacrificed.
Satan is oppressing God’s people right now and it’s getting harder and harder. The first thing we can do is make an act of faith, such as an effort to attend the Mass. Every Mass is making present the sacrifice of Jesus and from that sacrifice flows grace and mercy which can free His people from the power of Satan. And there is no other solution. The second part is sacrifice, uniting our sacrifice to Jesus. The suffering that we have in our life, that we’ve had in the past, we are to offer that in union with Jesus so that we are helping Him and the great mission of liberating God’s people. Jesus is asking for our cooperation, to believe in His sacrifice and unite our sacrifices to His sacrifice along with our Blessed Mother, for the salvation of the world, for the great escape, the new Exodus, the liberation of God’s people from the oppression of Satan to the promised land, to the eternal Promised Land of joy that God has prepared for His children.